Well, we've made it to version 4 of the website now. Finally decided to stop making things from scratch for my side projects 🤣. Laravel for the backend and a Bootstrap template for the frontend. Some data pulled from the TFT stats from the Riot API, MTG decks from the Moxfield API and tweets from the Twitter API.
My other notable project is fortressmaxmius.io. A site for now defunct Transformer TCG from Wizards of the Coast. Another Laravel project which started as a searchable database for all the cards in the game, grew to a deck builder and eventually I started creating content for the community as well. Tried to generate some revenue from ads and affiliate links to buy cards from online retailers, worked with writers and artists to create strategy articles for the game. Tech stack used Redis for cache, Algolia for search and deployed on Digital Ocean.
Maracas Bay, Trinidad and Tobago 🇹🇹
🎶 These are a few of my favourite things
If we're ever on a game show and you have to list off my favourite things, here they are in digestible point form.
- Food: Garlic Bread
- Drink: HK Cold Milk Tea
- Doritos: Cool Ranch
- Donut: Cinnamon Tiny Toms
- Song: 彭羚 - 讓我跟你走
- Movie: Star Wars
- TV Show: Clone Wars (2003)
- Game: Team Fight Tactics
What is there to know about Dave? Video games and coding. That's basically it. One of my earliest memories is "playing" Flight Simulator on my dad's old monochrome screen PC. The first time we got a CGA monitor my mind was blown and ever since I started playing the first Civilization I've been forever hooked on video games.
My dad taught me Basic and I guess I thought that was so cool I'd focus the rest of my life on writing code. From DOS batch files to Java, I've finally found a home with PHP.
Software Engineer with 10+ years of experience. Loves working at startups because they have such good snacks. I've run scrums, led small teams, coordinated with PM's, wrote tons of code, deployed to AWS, Digital Ocean and Azure. Just tell me what we're building and lets get to it 💡
Bachelor of Science Computer Science
2001 - 2006
Ryerson Univeristy, Toronto, ON
Java was the future they said. Applets will run anywhere they said. Took one LAMP stack course and fell in love with web development ❤️
Source can be found on bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/obiwongee/obiwong-v4/src/master
Database, deck builder and strategy article site for the now defunct Transformers TCG card game. Built on Laravel, search powered by Algolia, affiliate links to ebay and TCGPlayer.com, integrated with Google Adsense and Analytics, worked with freelancers to create articles and art for the site. Card lookup bot integrated on the /r/transformerstcg subreddit.
At the game's peak popularity my sites metrics topped out at 4.3k monthly active users and over 150k monthly page views. #1 Google search result for "Transformers TCG decks" and "Transformers TCG deck builder".
- PHP, Laravel
- MySql, Redis
- Slack and Microsoft Teams app integrations
- AWS, Digital Ocean
- Vagrant, Docker
Senior Software Engineer
2016 - Present
Soapbox Innovations, Toronto, ON
- Backend and DevOps for Soapbox Web app. Laravel, MySQL, Redis, AWS (SQS, S3, EC2, Cloudwatch, Route 53, RDS), Forge, Envoyer
- Planned out and deployed a copy of server infrastructure for the web application on Digital Ocean
- Integrated and monitored server performance metrics on DataDog
- Various roles such as scrum master, team lead and devops in addition to back end software engineer
- Test driven development. Test everything. Deploy with confidence.
2013 - 2016
Jumbleberry, Toronto, ON
- Developed and maintained the company's internal application built on Zend framework. The main focus was aggregating sales data from various third party websites (via API or web scraping) and displaying those reports for the sales team.
- Created an internal API for the company's platform built on Phalcon framework. The backend of the original platform was migrated to this new API based platform
- Migrated in-house web services to AWS and deployed new technologies on services such as Redis, Gearman, Consul, Chef and Doctrine
- Created new development environments that were deployed with Chef on Vagrant that mirrored production and staging environments. Created a deployment script so the entire dev environment can be deployed on to a new machine
Jan 2012 - Nov 2012
Culturalite, Toronto, ON
- PHP, MySQL, Yii Framework web development for web scraping and data aggregation.
2007 - 2011
STJ Retail, Toronto, ON
- Perl, Postgres development and DevOps for Point of Sales systems.
Team Fight Tactics
Fun Autochess game I've recently started playing. Really started to get into the League of Legends universe after playing Legends of Runeterra and Team Fight Tactics almost makes me want to play MOBAs.... If you like drafting or only have small windows of time for games TFT is probably right up your ally!
Stats pulled from the Riot API. Updated hourly.
Profile @ lolchess.gg
Last 20 Matches
Top 4 Finishes
Top 4 Finishes
Magic the Gathering
I've been playing Magic since 94/95 started around Revised/Ice Age era. Especially after listening to Maro's Drive to Work podcast (if you have any interest in game design I highly recommend it), I really do think Magic The Gathering is probably one of the greatest games ever made.
Decks pulled from moxfield.com. Deck images pulled from their server and stored locally. Updated daily.
Profile @ moxfield.com
Historic - UW Control
Standard - Vorinclex Jund
Standard - Izzet Tempo
Historic - Jund Mindrange
Commander - Karametra Landfall
Commander - Wheel of Kess
Historic - Bant Control
Historic - Mono U
Commander - Tuvasa Auras
Commander - Brunatron
My top 10 tracks from the last four weeks pulled from the Spotify API.
Scary Pockets, Rozzi
League of Legends, Cailin Russo, Chrissy Costanza
Total, Da Brat